Re: Entry level Java

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Entry level Java
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:36:05 -0500

Charles Staelin got most of the way to a java tutorial, he probably has
it up somewhere, I keep a copy here
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/OtherPeoplesCode/CharlesJavaTutorial.ZIP

Unfortunately, Charles was promoted :) and didn't work on it anymore.

Swarm is a user community, and it is time for someone to step up and
take hold of that writeup and finish it up.

In the meantime, I taught a class that had 4 weeks on java programming.
I got some tutorial material together, similar to simple C bug and so
forth. I do not have the Swarm component added in there, but I may
someday. Perhaps you may want to give me some feedback about that. Look
in the doc sub-directory here.
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ps909/Fall-2001/java/example3.4/
This tells a stupid story about student objects who send messages to
each other, and then a Policeman comes along looking for a student with
a particular fingerprint.  There is no Swarm in here, just an object
oriented simulation.  We could add the swarm part, though, to schedule
the actions in an interesting way, and then create a space where the
people wander around. If you want to backtrack through the building
blocks, just go backwards up the directories. The first week is just
stuff about "what is a variable" and so forth.  I didn't build javadoc
output for the early ones (Comments are in the top of the file
Test.java), but that last one I point you at has a beauty in the doc
directory!