Re: Entry level Java

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: Entry level Java
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:12:55 +0200

At 20.30 18/10/01 -0700, you wrote:

PJ> Charles Staelin got most of the way to a java tutorial, he
PJ> probably has it up somewhere, I keep a copy here
PJ> http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/OtherPeoplesCode/CharlesJavaTutorial.ZIP

PJ> Unfortunately, Charles was promoted :) and didn't work on it
PJ> anymore.

PJ> Swarm is a user community, and it is time for someone to step up
PJ> and take hold of that writeup and finish it up.

We now have at least two separate (re-)implementations of the
simpleBug tutorial in Java (one by Charles and another about 12 months
ago, by Anthony Liekens, who runs the alife.org site).  To consolidate
these efforts, and to ensure that we don't reinvent the wheel too
much, I propose to check in Charles Staelin's code to the Swarm
sourceforge CVS repository (http://sf.net/projects/swarm), so that the
community can have access to it, and contribute to it, even though we
don't have an "official" SDG release (whatever that means now).

How does that sound?

If it is possible (no license problems, as I think, because Charles authorized me to freely redistribute his tutorial in my Swarm seminar in Torino), that sounds great!

        Pietro

---
Home page http://web.econ.unito.it/terna