Re: Entry level Java

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Entry level Java
Date: 17 Oct 2001 14:20:29 -0600

CM> As a novice I hit on Swarm and decided to use Java because
CM> of its insistence on correct programming technique (garbage
CM> collection and logic checking).  I am just completing my first
CM> Java course (I can flash and scroll text with the best of them).

Java doesn't have much to say about correct programming technique.
Take a look at http://www.haskell.org for a language that does.

CM> I tried the SDG csss tutorial sample but the tar file has no Make
CM> file, many unneeded Java files and I am not able to get it to
CM> compile.

This will do it:

  javacswarm *.java agent2d/*.java
  javaswarm ObserverSwarm

CM> 2 Questions: Has there been any additional simple self-teaching
CM> progressive Java examples added since January of 2000?

Not really.

CM> Would it be possible (with some guidance) to port Hello_world or
CM> simpleCBug (ultimately ending up with the examples I need) or perhaps
CM> they are designed to teach Objective C++ Swarm and have lots of
CM> extraneous stuff not needed in Java Swarm?

Sure, people experiment with porting the simple bug / tutorial series,
but I don't think anything has really been published.  It's not like
there is anything magical about those models.  It could be any
relatively simple model.  Maybe doing something new would be more
motivating, or maybe not.