Re: Which Linux for Mac works best with Swarm?

From: Jacobo Myerston
Subject: Re: Which Linux for Mac works best with Swarm?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:44:37 -0400

Akiko:

I would install SUSE on an external firewire hard disk. There are good and slim firewire disk under 100$. 3GB is more than enough.

Concerning the port of Swarm to OSX, it may be a reality soon. Were are just waiting that other developers finish their ports of gcc3.1 and tcltk for aqua. gcc3.1 will be released in the next months and will officially support OSX. Two Apple developers are working on tcltk and tcltk4 will run native on Aqua. Swarm depends on this packages, and there is nothing to do until these packages are ported.

be patient

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 10:31 PM, Alex Lancaster wrote:

"AL" == Akiko Ogawa <address@hidden> writes:

AL> Please, Mac users, speak up!  I don't want to believe that only
AL> one other person (ALEX) uses Swarm with Mac.  Or did I intimidate
AL> you by sounding that I'm going to ask for your help all the time?
AL> Well, I might. But if nobody uses Swarm with Mac, SDG people are
AL> not going to support Mac users!

Just to be clear, it's not a matter of some "official" SDG policy to
support or not support Mac users.  It's simply a matter of time and
resources, the SDG simply does not have the money or staff to do a Mac
port.

Swarm is currently a voluntary community effort (the SDG co-ordinates
funding where it can, but currently has no staff), Marcus' (and
other's) time on this list is provided purely voluntarily.

If folks want to help out doing a port, in particular, would be
willing to step up to the plate to be the "co-ordinator" of the Mac
port - please do so.  The SDG could do what it could in terms of
setting up a mailing list if it was deemed necessary, but somebody
volunteering to be the "Mac port co-ordinator" could certainly help
speed the process!

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * <address@hidden> * www.santafe.edu/~alex Dept. of Integrative Biology, UC Berkeley (ib.berkeley.edu) * +1 510 642-1233