vcdimager-gui-devel

Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/VC

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] Re: Questions and stuff about the VCDXBuild/VCDImager
Date: 29 Nov 2001 20:41:56 +0100

On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 15:38, Laurens Koehoorn wrote:
> > btw, I've hit some limitation... :-/
> > maybe you are more experienced here...
> >
> > I've tried the following one variant,
> >
> > <!ELEMENT meta ANY>
> > <!ATTLIST meta
> >   xmlns   %URI;   #REQUIRED
> > >

> > but then I hit a problem:
> > XML namespaces does not handle importing DTD's :-(
> Which META isn't working : HTTP-EQUIV (wich contains pre-declared items) or
> NAME (can be anything : undeclared items, will be dclared at run-time)?
neither of these apply here... they are completely unrelated to the
issue

the problem is about having a partial declared DTD, and being able to
have a kind of <PRAGMA> container, which content is still XML, but which
is ignored, if not understood... and which you can validate!

what I'm searching for, is some way to import a DTD for the <pragma>
sub-element... but I guess that's beyond DTD's, maybe schema's provide
some better mean for it...

so that each GUI can create it's own additional data as XML with some
tag that identifies the XML "content-type"...

> If the XML namespace doesn't accept meta's as we know them, why not work
> arround them and using Remarks "<!-- ... -->", as I do already in my gui.
> It's just a suggestion... ;-)
and not a very good one :-)
as comments are not meant to carry information ;-)
it would work... but's is far from being the clean approach I'm trying
to find...

> As soon you have some "undocumented" option that will return the version
> only (and not all other messages, like copyright) let me know...
try "vcdxbuild --gui --version"

 > > but well, I can modify the --version output to have a different format,
> > when the --gui option is given as well...
> >
> > e.g.
> > <version major="0" minor="7" micro="10pre4" arch="linux-gnu/i686" />
> If you have such output, can you help me with some XML interpreter for
> win32/c++ (like a DLL)? If not, I've got to figure out myself how I can
> interprete XML (handy if I want to export/import 'projects' in plain XML
> instead of unreadable binary files).
unreadable binary file formats are a relict from the past, when each
saving a few bytes or a few cpu cycles was important enough to sacrifice
human-readability and portability...

today only raw multimedia content is usually stored as real binary
data... even word processors or spreadsheets are starting to migrate to
XML representations....

ps: the string above doesn't require a full XML parser... but if you
already use such one for the videocd-xml stuff, it's not much work to
run it over the version-element as well... then usually you can retrieve
the attributes with some function call like

getAttribute(getElementbyName(xmldoc, "version"), "major")

or something more or less like that one... (the example above has been
invented...)

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key