Re: [vile] Error from xvile after building latest motif version

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Error from xvile after building latest motif version
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:01:01 -0400

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:22:49PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 04:20:24PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:45:51PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > >
> > > I could try the same build on my old Slackware system (where I have
> > > 9.3 at the moment) and see if the same happens.
> > >
> > ... and I get the same error:-
> >     Error: XtCreateWidget "menuEntry" requires non-NULL parent
> >
> > So, for me at least, there's something broken between 9.3 and 9.5
> > (unless I was using some odd ./configure options when I did the 9.3
> > build - how can I tell exactly what I used?)
> >
> I've done some builds and checks:-
>
>     The 9.3 version from my old Slackware box runs OK on my new box.
>
>     I've compiled 9.4 on my new box with just "--with-screen=Motif"
>     and that runs OK.
>
>     I've compiled 9.5 on my new box with no patches at all and just
>     "--with-screen=Motif", that fails with the above error.
>
> So the error is something introduced between 9.4 (with no patches, at
> least I think not) and 9.5 with no patches.
>
> Which 9.5 is/was supposed to fix the problem if it's the one you think
> it was, I could check that the patch is being applied correctly.

The last patch that I recall affecting the Motif configuration was a
build-fix (not runtime).  That was because I was tightening up the
interfaces of the I/O drivers and had omitted a chunk needed for Motif.
That's in 9.5i (fix for 9.5f).

Looking through the changelog, I don't see anything else after 9.5 that
I noted was specific to xvile:

        http://invisible-island.net/vile/CHANGES.gz

The best advice I can think of is to suggest a binary search to narrow
down the patch which introduced the problem (9.5k is 11, so that's only
3-4 tries to get there).  If the patch is large, I can put together
some intermediate steps.  (I might be able to reproduce the problem on
one of my home machines, but didn't see that last night).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net