wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The merits of the Orcish Slurbow

From: Joseph Simmons
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The merits of the Orcish Slurbow
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:48:54 -0500

I agree that it should be reverted for this release (although graphics could be left in), but I really think it needs to be eventually added. There is some merit to the argument "orcs should not have powerful ranged units", but not a whole lot. A level 3 orcish archer will obviously never be as good as a level 3 elvish archer; but that doesn't mean level 3 orcish archers should not exist. Why?:

1) They are _needed_ for good orcish campaigns. No offense to benj, but I think his reasoning is flawed... it is virtually useless to advance a unit to only second level in a decent-length campaign (>5 scenarios). If it can't get to third level, you are better off not even having a second level, and just using it as a swarm unit. I really think I probably play campaigns a lot more than most people, and in my experience you are best off advancing some units to third level, and then have them help advance other units. It is not a good strategy to level a bunch of units to second level, and never get them to third level.

2) Orcs have virtually no third level units. They have, by my count, 3. The elves (who have less level 1 units! (4 to 5 (I'm lumping goblins with orcs here))) have 6. This makes the elves much more interesting for campaign usage. (This is not the same point as 1; 1 says that they are needed to have the orcish archer useful at all in orcish campaigns, 2 says they are needed to have orcish campaigns be fun to play).

3) It helping balance Age of Heroes may not suffice as an argument on its own, but IMHO it does emphasize the need for this unit.

--
Joseph Simmons

Turin Turambar - Master of Fate, by Fate Mastered