Re: [Duplicity-talk] TimeoutError

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] TimeoutError
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 18:32:08 +0100

On 08.01.2023 17:24, Vera Schmidt via Duplicity-talk wrote:
Hey ede,

I managed to create the testfiles with dd. Uploading them to HiDrive with the
Strato frontend works without problems.

hmm, then maybe raise the size until it doesn't anymore. pretty sure there is a
limit.
I will try - but I do have some comprehensive questions:

The largest file duplicity-full-signatures.20230101T155114Z.sigtar.gpg made by
the backup on the usb drive has 520,2 MB.

Stupid question 1: My upload test of a test file with 1.5 GB with the Strato
frontend was positive - why a 520 MB file should have problems?

there are different "techniques" to upload bigger files (because http wasn't
designed for these sizes). it might be that the duplicity webdav backend does simply not
provide the technique needed by Strato Hidrive.

having written that, it's difficult to pin down if the current webdav backend
is at fault here, because you will obviously need to use it with bigger files
against Strato Hidrive.

Stupid question 2: Why more tests with larger test files to find out the
maximum size make sense when the file to be uploaded is alot smaller than the
maximum size?

just to pin down the limit so you are informed for the future.

Possible answers:
The maximum size of an uploaded file is higher by uploading with the Strato
frontend than by uploading via webdav.
The size of a sigtar-file is larger when the backup is done via webdav in
comparison with a backup done on an usb drive.

my bad. i meant https://rclone.org/ :) try that.. ede

I will ;-)

maybe the easiest solution for you would be to use either

1. rclone -> rclone://
2. lftp   -> lftp+webdav://

both independently maintained/updated programs supported by backends in duplicity. you
can run them independently and check that they upload "big files" flawlessly.
if so you may use their backends in duplicity and all should work. for usage hints check
the duplicity man page http://duplicity.us/stable/duplicity.1.html

i'm suggesting those mainly, because i don't see an easy way to test the webdav
backend independently. sure you could raise volume sizes on a bigger test set,
but that all feels bothersome.

sunny regards ..ede