Re: [Duplicity-talk] TimeoutError

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] TimeoutError
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 15:54:57 +0100

On 14.01.2023 13:38, Vera Schmidt via Duplicity-talk wrote:
Hey ede,
hey Kenneth,

thanks alot for the explanations and the hints!

Summing up:
There are different technical ways to bring files to a "cloud storage" (I
should know ;-) ) and these ways may have different determining factors (theoretically
obvious, too).

yeah, well. to make it even more difficult. there are not only different
protocols (e.g. sftp, ftp, s3, webdav ...), there are also different
implementations that have to work against different implementations on the
servers, meaning in theorie there is a spec to be uphold, but might be
implemented slighty different or sometimes incompletely on either side.

wrt. to duplicity's webdav backend it is likely possible tat it fails to upload
files larger than e.g. 500MB, while the default client software or other webdav
clients are well capable to do so.

Easiest way to find out if my upload will work with another backup technique I
should try out other upload backends instead of webdav.
Proposal: testing with rclone (duplicity has an rclone backend) or/and with
lftp. Both programs can be tested independently and can be used with duplicity
if they work.
Besides: Testing larger files make sense to get to know the limit at Hidrive.

Correct?

sounds good.

So I will start testing - maybe it will take some days

still you may think about switching protocols as webdav really is stateless
http/https and therefor suboptimal for big datatransfers. looking at this

https://www.strato.de/faq/cloud-speicher/ueber-welche-protokolle-kann-ich-mich-mit-hidrive-verbinden/
i'd suggest you switch to sftp, which is modern, secure and quite robust.

sunny regards ..ede