Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:53:18 -0400

On May 24, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
If you absolutely feel the need to make the default value be t for modes such as text-mode, which (you are convinced) are likely to benefit from it, then do so. But PLEASE leave the rest of Emacs alone, by default. This is a bad choice for
Emacs - please reconsider this.

You didn't give any reason to support your view. I can see where you're coming from, though.

I believe line-move-visual should be t because in this mode of operation, cursor movement commands correspond most closely to the visual representation of the buffer.

Note that I have bound C-n/p to non-visual movement in Aquamacs, while arrow keys are visual. But of course I can see the argument to keep C- n/p and arrow keys bound to the same commands in Emacs, where a closer relationship between TTY and window system use is desired.

Leo wrote:

If the purpose is to make new users feel at home, then we could create
something like firstboot.el that runs in the first run. Most operating
systems have this.

... and then Emacs would magically and surprisingly change its configuration after the first startup?
Even more confusing.

How about a newbie-mode, which can be en/disabled directly from the startup screen?

Ps.: I think it's too late in the game for 23.1 for this sort of change.