Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:46:19 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 01:18:02 -0700
>
> > Pretest is not for changing the default behavior.  They are for fixing
> > bugs before the release.  The time for users to voice their objections
> > and requests for improvements is after Emacs is released.  There's
> > always the next release.
>
> I see. So if you happen not to have dug deeply into each discussion thread
> before the prerelease, and spoken up about it, you're out of luck? Your voice
> doesn't count because it's too late?

If you come too late in the pretest, yes.  If we allow non-critical
changes beyond certain point, we will either never make a release or
release a buggy version (because each change might have, and usually
has unintended consequences).

> That's ridiculous.

That's life.

And just to keep this in perspective, we are talking about the default
value of an easily customizable option.  How critical could a default
be, even if it turns out to be disliked by many?