Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:19:31 -0400

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you are right, all I would like to see is a compromise that the
> majority of people will agree to.
>
> The fact that Yidong, and Monnier simply disregard any discussion on
> the topic is frustrating, specially since people have voiced strong
> arguments for why the new behaviour is broken.

I've already made one suggestion: add a menu bar entry to make
line-move-visual easier to turn on or off.  Since there were objections
to this, I haven't pursued it.  There have been no other unproblematic
suggestions AFAICT, so I think those who dislike the new behavior will,
as Stefan said, simply have to set line-move-visual to nil and move on.

> Maybe that is an idea, bind the line-move-visual behaviour to M-n/M-p
> or just the arrow keys (maybe someone suggested this already).  What
> do people think?

This is a bad idea, as pointed out by Andreas and Miles.