Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:17:42 +0800

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> How much of an issue will this be on Wayland systems? Considering GTK4
                                                                    ^^^^
That will hopefully be GTK 5.

> will probably drop X11 support, and Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu (likely
> covering vast majority of Linux desktop) are Wayland default, how much
> of a critical dependence do we have on custom X11 support, and how much
> can we afford to rely on Qt to not have these issues on Wayland?

It will not affect Wayland at all, since the Wayland drag-and-drop API
is too limited to allow Emacs to implement drag-and-drop properly there.

Most importantly, there is no way to cancel drag-and-drop after it
begins (think C-g), or to receive a notification when the pointer
reenters the frame where it originated after leaving.

X will probably remain the primary window server for the next decade or
so.  Anyone who doesn't want to use one of the several Wayland-ready
desktop environments on supported hardware will have to use X, even if
Wayland is the default on most distros.