Re: What does use-package do?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: What does use-package do?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:45:26 +0000

Naoya Yamashita <conao3@gmail.com> writes:

> Nothing is going on with integrating leaf and use-package as no
> one is working on it.  Honestly, I don't like use-package because
> it has surprising behavior that often seems nosy.  That is why
> leaf was created, to organize/reduce the features that
> use-package has and to give user a better interface, which is
> why it cannot be integrated.

I don't think I understand.  Why would it be impossible to integrate
them?  The packages seem very similar to me.

> In summary, the functionality that use-package already provides
> should be sorted out because it contains magic.

Could you elaborate?

Would you be willing to work on fixing those problems?

> The interface provided by leaf is pretty, but it has a puzzling
> internal structure.  I would support a third use-package that should
> come standard with Emacs, if there is one.

Sadly, there is no such alternative use-package implementation, so I
think we'll have to start out from improving what we have.