Re: What does use-package do?

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: What does use-package do?
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 10:08:38 +0530

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Can someone send me a self-contained description of the job
> use-package does, from a user's perspective?
>
> I'm not asking about how it does that job, or how it works.

use-package allows writing emacs configuration in a declarative manner,
rather than imperative. It does few more things:

- Describe autoload dependencies by means of packages, commands, hooks
  and keybindings, allowing faster startup without affecting UX
- Allow configuring/executing stuff before/after package loading
- Isolate configuration for individual packages in separate
  s-expressions.

In general, making things declarative has had huge improvement in my
config debug-ability, despite having 170+ packages currently loaded,
without significantly increasing startup time.