Re: What does use-package do?

From: Naoya Yamashita
Subject: Re: What does use-package do?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:46:45 +0900

(I used to send Email from gnus, but I have already lost my gnus
settings and will reply from Gmail.  I hope I get it right.)

> There was talk of integrating leaf into use-package a year ago.

Nothing is going on with integrating leaf and use-package as no
one is working on it.  Honestly, I don't like use-package because
it has surprising behavior that often seems nosy.  That is why
leaf was created, to organize/reduce the features that
use-package has and to give user a better interface, which is
why it cannot be integrated.

On the other hand, I agree that leaf has a puzzling internal
structure.  It has huge conditional branches directly in a list,
dynamically generating S-expressions and eval'ing them.  This
structure makes debugging difficult and adding new features
difficult for new people. (I can do it, though.)  This is why I
am hesitant to have it standardized in Emacs.

In summary, the functionality that use-package already provides
should be sorted out because it contains magic.  The interface
provided by leaf is pretty, but it has a puzzling internal
structure.  I would support a third use-package that should come
standard with Emacs, if there is one.  And some people said that
the name "LEAF" is a bad name.  Hopefully the third use-package
will have a better name.

2022年10月10日(月) 5:16 Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>:

> Do you remember what thread that was, the only one I remember is
> https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/20201008.103747.1339582189858984269.conao3@gmail.com/.

Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of.

I think you want to start reading at:
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/CADwFkm=mSZHeKf0=G7rXhOKOqSxOYWwOQfUv8=7fZWEaDOCTKg@mail.gmail.com/