Re: What does use-package do?

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: What does use-package do?
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 18:46:31 +0600

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Can someone send me a self-contained description of the job
>> use-package does, from a user's perspective?
>>
>> I'm not asking about how it does that job, or how it works.
>
> use-package allows writing emacs configuration in a declarative manner,
> rather than imperative. It does few more things:
>
> - Describe autoload dependencies by means of packages, commands, hooks
>   and keybindings, allowing faster startup without affecting UX
> - Allow configuring/executing stuff before/after package loading
> - Isolate configuration for individual packages in separate
>   s-expressions.
>
> In general, making things declarative has had huge improvement in my
> config debug-ability, despite having 170+ packages currently loaded,
> without significantly increasing startup time.
>
> --

There is also a GNU ELPA package called Leaf (I'm using it).  It is very
similar to use-package, but somehow I like it more than use-package.
There is also another GNU ELPA called setup.el, which uses
context-sensitive macros to solve the same problem use-package and leaf
solves.  I think I like the setup.el approach, but I'm locked in due to
the heavy use of Leaf in my init file ;-)

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5