Re: What does use-package do?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What does use-package do?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:15:15 +0200

John Wiegley wrote:

>> Honestly, I don't like use-package because it has
>> surprising behavior that often seems nosy.  That is why
>> leaf was created, to organize/reduce the features that
>> use-package has and to give user a better interface, which
>> is why it cannot be integrated.
>
> You have mentioned this a few times, Naoya, but again I'll
> say that use-package 2.0 completely reorganized its internal
> structure so functions are fully modular and can be
> added/changed/removed however you wish. I'm not sure what
> you mean by "nosy" or "suprising" behavior, but if you
> wanted you could revise how _all_ of the declarative
> keywords behave. Everything is configurable these days, and
> this is how the core functionality is implemented also.

Indeed, nothing new ever needs to be created to reduce the
features of something else.

On the contrary, if anything, one should _add_ features!

The interface on the other hand should be mad as easy as
possible to configure even to non-programmers, and one can add
a "style" or "suite" option to give them a head start ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal