Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:58:25 -0700

> On Oct 12, 2022, at 3:50 AM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> On 12.10.2022 09:37, Yuan Fu wrote:
>> If the user enables eglot, eglot sets menu-create-index-function to
>> eglot-imenu, overriding major mode’s function.
>
> I suppose it does override that, but are you sure it's always a good idea?
>
> Are Imenu indexes produced by Eglot really better than what we can do with
> TreeSitter?

I have to way to tell, but surely not worse, since a LSP server knows
everything tree-sitter knows and more.

> IME it doesn't usually need project-wide information, since the menu is local
> to the current file. Some language servers could be smarter in the way that
> they recognize some framework-based patterns, which aren't inherent in the
> language. But the major modes can do that too.

Yeah, I think either one should be fine. Eglot saves work for major mode
developers, and tree-sitter gives major mode developer and users more option
and flexibility, since they need to implement the imenu function.

Yuan