Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:24:34 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:05:36 -0400
>
>   > Not clear yet (to me).  Dmitry says they are basically orthogonal in
>   > the features they support.
>
> Is this a coincidence, that different features just happen to be
> implemented in the two?  Or is it for some underlying reason that
> is unlikely to change?

They both parse and analyze the program source.

> Let's suppose that they continue to be basically disjoint in terms of
> features.  Then we will never (or hardly ever) need to worry about
> "Which underlying method to do feature F with?"
>
> So, do we need to offer users the option of enabling Tree-sitter and not
> Eglot, and the option of enabling Eglot and not Tree-sitter?

Eglot needs a server to be installed and started, so it will always
require an explicit action.  Moreover, a server supports one language
(or a small number of them), so different ones need to be started if
the project involves several languages.

Tree-sitter activation could be more automatic, based on the
availability of the language support.

>   > > If they are intersubstitutable, in principle, maybe they ought to have
>   > > the same user interface so that most users would not notice or care
>   > > which one is doing the job.
>
>   > You are basically asking the same questions I did.
>
> Good that we are following the same line of thinking.
> Could you show me the answers you got?

I don't have any answers yet, which is why I posted the questions.