Re: [GNU ELPA] eglot-x.el: Protocol extensions for Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] eglot-x.el: Protocol extensions for Eglot
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 16:26:18 +0300

> From: Felician Nemeth <felician.nemeth@gmail.com>
> Cc: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 13:56:21 +0200
>
> I'd like to submit a new package called eglot-x to ELPA.  Its commentary
> starts with:
>
> ;; Eglot supports (a subset of) the Language Server Protocol.  However,
> ;; there are useful protocol extensions that are not part of the
> ;; official protocol specification.  Eglot-x adds support for some of
> ;; them.  If you find a bug in Eglot, please, try to reproduce it
> ;; without Eglot-x, because Eglot-x is substantially modifies Eglot's
> ;; normal behavior as well.
>
> João intend to support only the standardized protocol features in
> eglot.el, but lots of LSP servers extend the protocol in their own way.
> (It was João who suggested the package name long ago.)  I considered
> eglot-x just an experiment and a learning possibility, but people seem
> to use it, so I'd like to make their life easier by this submission.

It sounds strange to me to refuse to support LSP extensions in
eglot.el.  At the very least, eglot.el could benefit from offering a
supported mechanism for adding such extensions; there should be no
need for using advice for that.

João, why would you not consider supporting these extensions as part
of eglot.el?