Re: [GNU ELPA] eglot-x.el: Protocol extensions for Eglot

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] eglot-x.el: Protocol extensions for Eglot
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 16:38:08 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Felician Nemeth <felician.nemeth@gmail.com>
>> Cc: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 13:56:21 +0200
>>
>> I'd like to submit a new package called eglot-x to ELPA.  Its commentary
>> starts with:
>>
>> ;; Eglot supports (a subset of) the Language Server Protocol.  However,
>> ;; there are useful protocol extensions that are not part of the
>> ;; official protocol specification.  Eglot-x adds support for some of
>> ;; them.  If you find a bug in Eglot, please, try to reproduce it
>> ;; without Eglot-x, because Eglot-x is substantially modifies Eglot's
>> ;; normal behavior as well.
>>
>> João intend to support only the standardized protocol features in
>> eglot.el, but lots of LSP servers extend the protocol in their own way.
>> (It was João who suggested the package name long ago.)  I considered
>> eglot-x just an experiment and a learning possibility, but people seem
>> to use it, so I'd like to make their life easier by this submission.
>
> It sounds strange to me to refuse to support LSP extensions in
> eglot.el.  At the very least, eglot.el could benefit from offering a
> supported mechanism for adding such extensions; there should be no
> need for using advice for that.
>
> João, why would you not consider supporting these extensions as part
> of eglot.el?

I think that it makes sense to have non-standard and perhaps not even
well specified (?) extensions to LSP as part of a separate package that
is not part of the core, so that it can adjust to changes in the
implementations that provide these extensions more quickly.  I don't
know what the working procedure is for LSP, but if they do get added to
the standard, it should be easy to move the code from eglot-x to eglot,
if the package is on GNU ELPA.