Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 18:40:05 +0200

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com> writes:

>>> But the emacs execute and pdmp even changes for builds without
>>> native-comp, see my earlier message:
>>> https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-10/msg00133.html
>>
>> Is that the right link?  Where does it say that that is w/o native-comp?
>> Anyway, so the facts are which now?
>
> The link only contains the diff. I attach the full build log now yes.

To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by the first sentence.
The linked message didn't say it's w/o native-compilation?

>> - all builds are from scratch?
>
> Yes they are from scratch in a clean build environment, a open build
> service worker (see attachment).
>
>> - Executable and pdmp change with every build, independent of
>>   native-comp?
> yes
>> - x-win.eln changes with native-comp?
> yes

Let me add another question, just to be as precise as possible:

I understand We have differences between 2 independent builds with
native compilation.  When you say executable and pdmp differ without
native compilation, do you mean between 2 builds both without native
comp?

> Build log without native-comp:

Not of great help, I'm afraid.  Lots of stuff nobody wants to know, here
at least :-).

Anyway--what are these CFLAGS for, esp. -DPDMP_BASE=...?  I don't know
what they do.

> [  187s] + CFLAGS='-O2 -Wall -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
> -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
> -fstack-clash-protection -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -pipe
> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
> -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-wayland"'\'''
> [  187s] + ./configure --disable-build-details ...

I'd recommend simplifying things by building Emacs with standard options
(no CFLAGS=...) and without any of your build tools.  Just 2 clean build
directories, and then compare.