Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 18:23:54 +0000

Hello, everyone.

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 19:19:23 +0200, Gerd Möllmann wrote:
> Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> >> Let me add another question, just to be as precise as possible:
> >>
> >> I understand We have differences between 2 independent builds with
> >> native compilation.  When you say executable and pdmp differ without
> >> native compilation, do you mean between 2 builds both without native
> >> comp?

> What about this?

> >> I'd recommend simplifying things by building Emacs with standard options
> >> (no CFLAGS=...) and without any of your build tools.  Just 2 clean build
> >> directories, and then compare.
> >
> > I don't think how that simplifies things, cflags don't impact if the
> > build is reproduceable or not.

> You know that I'm not talking about CFLAGS alone?

> But I'm just giving you an advice.  You can of course free to ignore it.

For what it's worth, I just built Emacs twice on one of my development
repositories on GNU/Linux, and the two emacsen produced were identical,
checked by cmp and md5sum.

Each build was set off with

    $ make -j17 bootstrap

..  My configuration was created by:

    $ configure --with-gpm --with-native-compilation --with-gif=no
--with-tiff=no

..  Maybe I don't understand what the problem is, but I'm seeing
repeatable builds.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).