Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: How to make aot native-compilation and pdmp creation reproduceable
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:12:11 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hello, Gerd.

Hi Alan,

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 08:21:51 +0200, Gerd Möllmann wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>
>> >     $ configure --with-gpm --with-native-compilation --with-gif=no
>> >     --with-tiff=no
>
>> I think he's using --with-native-compilation=aot
>
> Yes.  I've tried it again with aot, and get the same binary twice
> over.
>
> However, when I build the same source tree in two different directories,
> the results differ.  In native-lisp/30.0.50-15c37793, there are ~22 .eln
> files differing between the two trees.  As the OP reported, one of the
> differing files is
> native-lisp/30.0.50-15c37793/preloaded/x-win-....eln.
>
> The other pertinent files are: cmacexp, cpp, dictionary, el, erc,
> erc-button, erc-nicks, extract, find, grammar, ia, insert, make, mode,
> oc-csl, org-habit, ox-html, semantic, srt, tramp-message, utf7 (all
> appended with their hex signatures and .eln).
>
> What do these files have in common?  As pure speculation, it may be that
> they communicate with external processes, somehow.  Or something like
> that.

Hm.  If my hypothesis of comp.el printing with print-circle etc. is
right, they would differ in some label of the form '#nnn=' only, where
nnn is some integer.

If I understood how print-continuous-numbering + print-number-table
actually work and should be used in comp.el, I'd offer a patch, but alas
... :-).