RE: SES manual French translation (Re: Where to contribute manual transl

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: SES manual French translation (Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:40:57 +0000

Hello J-Ch,

>Nice start for the new year :)
>
>Hello Vincent,
>> On Jan 1, 2024, at 9:27, Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have pushed the French translation of SES manual to master,
>
>It seems like you left French parts in the English manual as "todo
>items".
>
>For ex. l.168-210.
>
>https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/doc/misc/ses.texi#n168
>
>Even if they're tagged as @ignore, I'm not sure that's good practice
>for potential translators to other languages.

I did it this way, in order to keep both contents aligned and do not
loose any contributed text, whatever is between « @ignore » … « @end
ignore » anyway does not go to the output document, this remains only in
the source code. Note that in addition of the « @ignore » I've put a
TODO comment for the translator to know that there is some re-alignment
to do.

Also, this new text may still need some adjustment, so I was not too in
a hurry to translate it to English (and may be some good will with a
better command of English than mine can also do that :-P ). One of the
motivation of translating the manual to French was also to make it
easier for me to contribute to it, and once I am satisfied with the
text, propagate to the English version.

>There are quite a few errors that could have been avoided by a
>spelling/grammatical check. LanguageTool can be used in Emacs for this.
>It is quite convenient. Here are a few :
>
>c-à-d. → c.-à-d.
>Les valeurs des cellules sont spécifiés → spécifiées
>varaiables → variables

Thank-you for reporting that, I just fixed and pushed quite a number of
fixes. Actually, I must admit that I had not paid too much attention
(and even almost not at all) to this, as my first intention was to
provide a makeinfo-compiling ses-fr.texi for those interested in
upgrading the Makefile.in script and experimenting this upgrade.

BTW, in the Makefile.in patch which I provided in my previous email, I
also had to tamper with the org.texi generation as there was a version
check error.

>There are inconsistencies between infinitive form and imperative form
>to describe actions. Etc.

Which form do you recommend ? Probably in French using infinitive is
better, but sometimes I translated too litterally and used the
imperative, like the English do.

>Let me really suggest that we organize a proper process to
>translate/proofread/commit, similar to what other big free software
>endeavors have.
>
>The Savannah project is dead. We can create another one, discuss our
>issues there and push the deliverables to the Emacs repo when they are
>ready.

I think that I have to install OmegaT and experiment it before I can
quite some time. I let you know when I do that. Just be patient …

   V.