Re: SES manual French translation (Re: Where to contribute manual transl

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: SES manual French translation (Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 01:13:28 +0000

> On Jan 2, 2024, at 9:32, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org>
> writes:
>
>>> I think it's fine to use our existing infrastructure for now.
>>>
>>> If the volume gets too high/distracting, we can consider a separate
>>> mailing list for the translation work.
>>
>> I understand. Thank you. But I don’t think we should expect translators
>> discussing translation issues to do that in English. That would be
>> weird and not practical.
>
> I didn't think of that, but now that you have mentioned it you are
> obviously correct.
>
> Perhaps if the number of such discussions are anyways very small, we
> could allow them in our bug tracker.
>
> Where do these types of discussions take place now?  How many are
> regularly participating in the French language translation effort?

Currently, it's only Vincent and I, here.

As far as I remember, the emacs documentation French translation has
actively stopped being a "project" in the very early 00's (the date of
the last commit of the Savannah project Vincent mentioned).

I "took over" (for lack of a better word) a few years later, when I
started to become interested in emacs, but nothing serious happened.
That was within the traduc.org association (and NPO focusing on
translating free software documentation). But the association is now
not very active, although its members are still doing things here and
there.

"We" were mainly organizing this:

https://traduc.org/FrontPage

Which includes the Gnu Translation Project:

http://translationproject.org/team/fr.html

I rebooted the emacs documentation project 3 years ago and, as I
mentioned early in the thread, I use it as an internship project for
students in technical translation MAs. So there are irregular
discussions taking place in my repo list, but what I'm also aiming at
with the internship is getting students used to various processes so
generally speaking moving the discussions to a more emacs-centric place
would be no problem at all.

Considering past discussions on this list and translation activity in
other projects, I have no doubt that once the Emacs project offers some
infrastructure to translate its documentation, there will be a lot of
interest in a number of languages.

So, keeping the discussion here while we get the infrastructure ready is
the best choice, I think, and considering the possibility to have a
dedicated translator’s list in the medium term would be good.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org