Re: Installing cond* in core

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Installing cond* in core
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:26:22 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 16:18:33 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:38:23 +0000
> > Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > Please drop this attitude: it is not useful.  In Emacs development,
> > > stuff is routinely "slipped into Emacs in the dead of the night
> > > without any public discussion", for better and for worse.

> > Pretending it didn't happen and failing to discuss it is not healthy for
> > the project.

> That's not what I said.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

> > Routine bug fixes, and uncontroversial stuff is committed without
> > discussion, yes.

> Those aren't the cases to which I alluded.

All right, most commits without commenting on emacs-devel are
uncontroversial.  I am aware of a few others, about which I've not been
happy either.  Do you find the level of such commits acceptable, or do
you too wish they were discussed more?

> > > I'm sure that if you examine the logs of your own changes, you will
> > > see many examples of that; I know I see that in mine and in most
> > > other's.

> > I don't think I have ever intalled anything controversial without
> > discussing it on the list.

> The problem is that "controversial" is many times only evident in
> retrospect.

In the current case, the controversy was obvious.  How can you change the
meaning of the basic tokens ` and , without it being controversial?

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).