Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:10:55 +0200

On 22/02/2024 18:57, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

On 21/02/2024 17:02, Stefan Monnier wrote:
So, unless unless there is a strong objection from one of Emacs's head
maintainers, I think I will commence Flycheck's addition to NonGNU in the
next few days.
That would be very welcome, thanks.

All right, I've made the push:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/nongnu.git/commit/

Here is a more permanent link for posterity:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/nongnu.git/commit/?id=7c06709972291413f18b750248b141293415cd42

Thank you.

It should build sometime within 24 hours.

Bozhidar, see the recipe in the diff, if any exclusions should be
added, the syntax is there (and also in the file's commentary at the
top).

Ideally this information shouldn't be tracked in nongnu.git, but in an
.elpaignore file within the repository.

That's a good point. It would be even better if MELPA supported .elpaignore too, but either way, adjusting ignores through this file is usually easier for an external package's maintainer.

What could be also added, is a way to build the manual to be included
with the package. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do, though,
with your current documentation setup.

It appears they use sphinx, which can generate TeXinfo output[0], though
I personally would recommend looking into translating the documentation
into a more standard format like Org or directly to TeXinfo.

[0]
https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html#options-for-texinfo-output

Last I read, they decided against TeXinfo due to what format an average contributor would find easier to use. But anyway, it's up to Bozhidar now.