RE: [External] : Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windm

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 16:32:25 +0000

> So? Nobody is preventing those users doing what they want with their key
> bindings.  You're making a general purpose argument against having default
> key bindings at all.

No.  He made a general-purpose argument for not
introducing NEW default bindings gratuitously.

> Why don't we just ship Emacs with an empty global
> keymap so we're not imposing on anyone?

Straw-man argument.  The default bindings in Emacs
were adopted after years of practice, not willy
nilly each time a new command was added.

If each time a command is added someone pipes up
saying that it should be given a default binding,
and that any questioning of that is tantamount to
arguing against Emacs having ANY default bindings,
then we've truly landed in RidiculousLand.

> > As I said, C-x 4 <arrow keys> are convenient to
> > you for windmove commands.  They'll be convenient
> > to other users for other commands in just the
> > same way.  You're proposing imposing your setup
> > on everybody.  I'm against this.
>
> They're not convenient for anyone if left unbound.

Left unbound _by default_ is not the same as left
unbound.  User can -- and no doubt WILL -- bind
such commands if they use them.  We can check in a
few years to see what the actual practice is, and
THEN argue over whether to give them default
bindings, and if so, which bindings.

Nothing is lost, and much is gained, by not giving
these new commands default bindings.