Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: Chris Parsons
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:09:47 +0000

Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:
> To me, there is some joy to having a limited system.  The system
> constrains you to think in a certain way, and that means you have to
> put less effort into organizing your thoughts.  A lot of people here
> seem to find associating a task with one category restrictive.  From a
> theoretical point of view, I agree; many of my tasks belong in a few
> categories.  However, I wonder if there is any *practical* use to
> assigning the task to a few categories, other than making me think
> harder when I assign a task?  Will the task get done faster?  Will I
> remember it more easily?  For hierarchal tasks, which I do have on
> occasion, I simply make a link to a note that has the list of
> subtasks.  I don't think I would want the subtasks cluttering up the
> day page.

I think I'd find it practically useful. The two main reasons I'd like
tasks in more than one plan-page:

1. Publishing restrictions: Sometimes I have a task belonging to another
   person, which falls into one of my categories. It'd be nice to be
   able to have the tasks on both ChristmasPresents and EllieTodo
   pages. Ellie (my wife) only checks the EllieTodo published page, and
   lets me know from there if she wants things ticked off.

   This also works with clients - clients don't have access to most of
   my pages, only with the ones beginning with the ClientName
   prefix. Being able to tag otherwise private tasks as relating to a
   client would give them more information without my having to open up
   permissions unnecessarily.

2. I have a bunch of long term project tasks which belong both on
   ProjectSubCategory and ProjectPhase1 plan pages. Currently I have a
   timeline plan on ProjectPhase1 looking like this:

   Phase Ia

   Deadline: 2004.12.10
   Key Deliverable: XYZ

   ProjectSubCategory1: Do this and that
   ProjectSubCategory2: Do this and that

   Phase Ib

   Deadline: 2004.12.20
   Key Deliverable: ABC

   ProjectSubCategory2: Do this and that
   ProjectSubCategory3: Do this and that

   ... with the actual tasks on the subcategory pages. Would be nice to
   be able to have the actual tasks instead of 'Do this and that' on the
   ProjectPhase1 pages.

The other thing about multiple pages is that it won't break existing
planner pages, because if you don't choose to put another task on the
line, then it won't do anything differently.

Just my two C-c's
Chris

--
C-c 5 1 b C-M-? C-\ C-q C-M-l C-M-V runs the command explode-brain
   which is an interactive built-in function.

Explode the brain of the current emacs user. If ARG is specified,
attempt to explode the brains of all logged on users.