[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-trunk question

From: Keith Amidon
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-trunk question
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:31:47 -0800

{-- Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:16:14 -0800: Seth <address@hidden> wrote: --}

  Seth> Hi Dryice, all, Thanks for pointing me to planner-trunk.  Two
  Seth> quick questions:

  Seth> 1. I customized the regex list and when I call
  Seth> planner-trunk-tasks I get the desired organization.  Where do
  Seth> put a call to planner-trunk-tasks so that it gets called when
  Seth> I visit plan pages? Or is something one just calls every now
  Seth> and again to clean up plan pages?

I use the following defadvice, which I like, but your mileage may vary...

 (defadvice planner-sort-tasks-maybe (before my-planner-trunk activate)
   "Trunk tasks before sort automatically if sorting is automatic"
   (when planner-sort-tasks-automatically
     (planner-trunk-tasks)))

  Seth> 2. I thought I remembered some info in a recent post about
  Seth> planner-trunk and one of the outline modes so that, for
  Seth> exammple, one could hide/collapse the completed tasks section.
  Seth> If anyone can eithr point me to the post or remind me, that
  Seth> would be great.

A *big* word of warning here... planner-trunk, and planner in general,
do not deal with hidden outline subsections well.  This is something I
have on my to-do list to deal with, but haven't had a chance as I
think the kind of solution I'm looking for is probably non-trivial.  I
haven't even had time to cleanup my broken arch repository so Sacha
can properly pull the (minor) bug-fix I made to planner-trunk yet!
(Hopefully coming in the next day or two, honest!)

At a minimum, if you use outline-minor-mode and hide subsections in
your tasks section, you should probably use the following:

 (add-hook 'planner-trunk-tasks-before-hook 'outline-show-all)

This will expand all the outline sections before trunking takes place.
If you don't do this you will get weirdness.  Note that hidden
sections aren't just a problem for planner-trunk.  The function
planner-narrow-to-section from planner.el can't find hidden sections,
so if you hide your task or notes section, bad things happen.  Same
goes for planner-timeclock-summary finding the Timeclock section.

Fixing this isn't trivial because I would like to do something like
temporarily expand the entire outline, let the planner code do its
thing, and then return the outline to its previous state.  However,
the outline my have been changed by the planner code that ran, so I
need a way to save the outline exposure state that will let me then
restore the parts that are still the same.  I've got some ideas on
addressing this, but they all require work...

          -- Keith