[fluid-dev] Soundfont banks (was: Re: OSC support)

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Soundfont banks (was: Re: OSC support)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:55:26 +0200

On 07/09/2012 03:07 PM, jimmy wrote:
    "SoundBlaster soundfont specs only allow 128 banks of 128 instruments"  --
That's what I get from Pedro and David.
When ask about MIDI specs support for MSB (128 selections) and LSB (128
selections) for sound banks, they didn't have an answer.

As for following specs or not, I'm pragmatic about it. I'd like to follow the specs whenever possible, but if something else proves useful to a lot of people, and does not break it for other people, I'm okay with merging such patches.

As for soundfonts, I remember having discussions on how to best map CC0 and CC32 to the SoundFont's wBank value in different GM/GS/XG/GM2 modes, which was not trivial to answer. Therefore we have the "synth.midi-bank-select" option that uses different mappings depending the mode you select. Isn't that option working for you?

As for the soundfont spec, it both says:

"MIDI CC0 Bank Select - When received, the following program change should select the MIDI program
in this bank value instead of the default bank of 0

MIDI CC32 Bank Select LSB - When received, may behave in conjunction with CC0 Bank Select to provide a total of 16384 possible MIDI banks of programs."

and also says:

"The special case of a General MIDI percussion bank is handled conventionally by a wBank value of 128. If the value in either [wBank or wPreset] field is not a valid MIDI value of zero through 127, or 128 for wBank, the preset cannot be played but should be maintained."

Kind of confusing in itself, IMO.

// David