Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 23:11:31 +0200

On Sunday 08 July 2012, Peter Eastman wrote:
> > OSC doesn't define one set of messages with standard semantics
>
> Not true: that's what the SYN namespace is for.  See
> https://github.com/fabb/SynOSCopy/wiki.  OSC and MIDI approached this
> from opposite directions.  MIDI began with a standard set of commands,
> then added a mechanism for vendor specific extensions.  OSC began with
> a generic transport protocol then added a standardized set of commands
> later.  But the result is basically the same.

Bullshit.

OSC is defined only in its specification, and does not define any set of
standard messages: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0

Your argument is based on a random Wiki page, containing a proposal that has
been adopted by just one single project. Why not adopt this alternative
instead?
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/OSC_Synth/osc_synth.htm

> here are
> some of the advantages of OSC over MIDI that I particularly care
> about:
>
> - You can have an effectively unlimited number of channels.

In FluidSynth you can use the argument -K, --midi-channels=[num],
or the library equivalent setting "synth.midi-channels".

FluidSynth creates one MIDI input port for each group of 16 requested
channels (maximum 256 channels).

> - You aren't restricted to an equal tempered tuning system, or any
> tuning system at all.  You can specify an arbitrary pitch for every
> note.

FluidSynth supports arbitrary tuning scales.

Like many Roland GS MIDI instruments, by the way, to name a known MIDI
manufacturer.

> - You can freely change the pitch of a note after it begins playing,
> which makes slurs and portamentos possible.

MIDI controllers: portamento time and portamento switch:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/ptime.htm
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/port.htm

MIDI pitch bend:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/wheel.htm

> - Pressure is specified per note, not per channel.

MIDI Polyphonic Pressure (After-touch):

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/aftert.htm

Sorry. Please do better homework next time.