Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support

From: Peter Eastman
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 14:50:17 -0700

> Your argument is based on a random Wiki page, containing a proposal that has
> been adopted by just one single project.

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but you are
completely wrong.  The SYN namespace is generally recognized as the
standard mechanism for controlling synthesizers.  It is maintained as
its own project on github independent of any particular project that
uses it.

> OSC is defined only in its specification, and does not define any set of
> standard messages: http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0

The OSC 1.0 spec was standardized in 2002.  The SYN namespace was
first proposed in 2007.  It's hardly surprising that the former makes
no mention of the latter.  Anyway, to be very clear: what I am
proposing is to support OSC as a transport mechanism for SYN messages.

> In FluidSynth you can use the argument -K, --midi-channels=[num],
> or the library equivalent setting "synth.midi-channels".

I'm glad to know you already have internal support for this.  That
should make it easier to implement.

> FluidSynth supports arbitrary tuning scales.

Ditto.

> MIDI pitch bend:
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/wheel.htm

Pitch bend is useless for most purposes (or at least, ones I care
about).  It is 1) specified per channel, not per note, and 2) only
allows tuning in a very narrow range around the fundamental specified
by the note number.

> Sorry. Please do better homework next time.

Thanks, you too.

Peter