Re: Testing framework

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Testing framework
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 08:51:11 +0200 (CEST)

> but still confused over the thing that whether we have to follow the
> traditional method all the time i.e. xvfbRunAndScreenShot, and check
> some enhancement in it itself, or we have to do it manually all the
> time or student need to figure it out by themselves a suitable
> substitute of it?

I don't understand what you want to say.  What do you mean with
'manually'?  What is the 'traditional method'?  Note that my
misunderstanding might be caused by language barriers, so please
elaborate.

As mentioned earlier, there might be (documentation) deficiencies in
the stuff that is already available, and this should be rectified and
improved as part of GSoC.

The goal is to have a CI script (or a set of scripts) for the gitlab
instance at 'freedesktop.org' that gets called automatically if a new
commit has been added to the FreeType repository, and that checks
whether there are graphical differences in the rendering output, using
a set of demo fonts (or rather, small subsets of such fonts), which
should be created, too, together with tools that makes it easy to add
fonts to the set.[*]

    Werner

[*] Such tools should *not* be written from scratch!  Instead,
    existing stuff like the AFDKO
    (http://adobe-type-tools.github.io/afdko/AFDKO-Overview.html)
    fonttools (https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools) should be used
    in scripts or something similar.