gchempaint-main

Re: [Gchempaint-main] GChemPaint 0.8.5 released

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [Gchempaint-main] GChemPaint 0.8.5 released
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:45:18 +0100

Le samedi 22 décembre 2007 à 01:20 -0800, Francesco Pietra a écrit :
> Hi Jean:
>
> gnome-doc-utils.pc was in place. What was lacking was pkg-config
>
> Now installed
>
> $ which pkg-config
> /usr/bin/pkg-config
>

> That done, ./configure was still unhappy: there was no XML:: Parser per
> module.
>
> Now
>
> # apt-get install libxml-parser-perl
>
> ./configure
>
> was still unhappy. Last portion of terminal:
>
> Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas as install directory for schema files
> cheking for GCP... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.0
> libglade-2.0 >= 2.4.0 libgnomeprintui-2.2 >= 2.6.0 libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.6.0
> gnome-vfs-module-2.0 >= 2.6.0 gcu >= 0.8.0) were not met.
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed
> software in a non-standard prefix. Alternatively, ypu may set the envoronment
> variables GCP_CFLAGS and GCP_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg_config.
>
> The config.log related to the above ./configure attempt is attached.
> -----------------------------
>
> I did some search for the missing packages
>
> ---Unable to trace exactly gtk+-2.0 under this name or about that.
>
> ---libglade2.0 1:2.6.0-4 is installed (dev not).
>
> ---libgnomeprintui2.2.0 is installed (dev not).
>
> ---libgnomeui-0 is installed. libgnome32 is available for installation. No dev
> installed.
>
> ---gnome-vfs-module-2.0 not available under this name. Available for
> installation is  gnome-vfs-extfs. Installed is libgnome2-vfs-perl 1.060-1 (dev
> not).
>
> ---As to gcu, libgcu0 0.6.3-3 is installed, dev not. No more recent version
> available on etch.
>
> In summary, the unavailability of >= 0.8.0 for gcu seems to me to be a hard
> issue. Therefore, I am waiting until your examination of this information
> before installing the "dev" libraries.
>
> I am giving a lot of troubles with my not updated Debian. You may understand,
> however, that the computational programs (both ab initio and MD) are not kept
> updated with libraries. This means that changing now to Debian sid would break
> all my computational packages (and parallel support). Couple that to my very
> scarce ability as system maintainer, and perhaps you may accept my reasons.
>
> Hope that gchempaint may be brought to functioning on etch. I am close to
> writing a paper. It would be great to present gchempaint to the editor

the bad thing is that gcu-0.8 has dependencies that do not exist in etch
either: openbabel-2.1 (only in sid), bodr (exists in lenny and sid), and
goffice-0-4 (lenny and sid), the last one being the most problematic,
because it needs versions of cairo, gtk+ and probably others that are
not in etch. I'm afraid that things might be very tricky for etch.

Quite sorry for this situation. When gchempaint will reach stability,
I'll manage to not use cutting edge versions of everything so that
backports will be easier.

Best regards,
Jean