Re: [glob2-devel] money for volunteers for net-rewrite?

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] money for volunteers for net-rewrite?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:11:01 +0100

Kai Antweiler wrote:
This might help against the open source problem which Steph mentioned a few
month ago:  That boring tasks get never done.
But I'm sceptical that we would get new programmers.  And since our
workforce is so small right now, I oppose this - for now.

we don't need new programmers. bradley is very productive recently. if only he
would do those boring but also tricky tasks, this money would be his. if the
solution is tested and works.
it is nice what he did, but not essential like other tasks. I'd like to
motivate people for motivated tasks.

Can't we just take an existing net-library or copy some code from
another open source project like stratagus?

After all networking isn't a glob2 specific problem.  There should be
people out there that have already solved these problems.

As networking in glob2 isn't server-client, maybe we have a special case.
but maybe we should switch to server-client.

If not, we could extract our network code and use it to start a library.
Others might find it useful and start debugging it.

Sure. But this, too has to be done. It is one possible way to face our
net-problem.

my only question is, who decides if a job was done right and who
gets how much money then. i guess that would have to be a person
with a certain idea of how much the contribution helped glob2 on the
long term.

That would be Steph, Nuage or Bradley.

in short: the maintainer.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb