Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:57:22 -0500

Well, I went ahead and tried it out with a nice stressful package. This
is what I got:

$ tla get experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev
* from archive cached:
address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--base-0
* patching for revision:
address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--version-0
* making pristine copy
Error calling `vu_file_is_directory_following' (File or path name too long)
~  file
/cygdrive/c/dev/,tmp/,,get.experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--version-0.1088779077.984.6/{arch}/++pristine-trees/unlocked/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1/address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--version-0
PANIC: I/O error

Now, it was able to checkout what seemed to be most of the file, but
when it finally went to move it, or something like that, it failed. Even
if I do a 'tla get blahblah a' which shortens the total path by quite a
bit, it still fails.
$ tla get experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev a
* from archive cached:
address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--base-0
* patching for revision:
address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--version-0
* making pristine copy
Error calling `vu_file_is_directory_following' (File or path name too long)
~  file
/cygdrive/c/dev/,tmp/,,get.a.1088779321.1292.6/{arch}/++pristine-trees/unlocked/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1/address@hidden/experimental-marching-cubes-thomas-lewiner--dev--0.1--version-0
PANIC: I/O error

So it would seem that your tar, etc code works properly, but something
else is trying to access the path by it's full name, and that is failing.

Also, are you smart about the name, such that if I have the directory
hello-world--mainline
and one
hello-world--dev
One of these will get
HELLO-~1
And the other
HELLO-~2
Depending on which was created first, etc.

I'll do a little bit of timing tests to see if the NO-LOG version of tla
is faster than with logging enabled. I'm sure it will be, I'm curious by
how much.

For now, though, I'm sticking with the dirname version, simply because
that's what my tree has right now.

I'll probably do at least one full-checkout with the 8.3 filenames, just
to see if it has any problems the dirname version doesn't. (Note:
dirname can't checkout that file either. So if it's fully a wash, the
DOS version should be nicer.)

John
=:->