Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:57:56 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

that's actually tla searching for its metadata...
and sometimes it wants to make a new path, and searches
for the sub-part that already exists to add new subdirs.

So what I need to know is when do we have an authoritative answer about
a directory? Should we be caching somewhere other than
pathcompress_compress_path?

that's actually the problem with =dirnames mapping that I would have liked
to have solved before implementing caching...

Well, in one sense caching isn't implemented. At least it doesn't work so it is disabled :)

and that's the beauty of the "dos-8.3" hack: always compress, always
"authoritative"...

Well, I like the general idea of the dos-8.3 hack. I wonder though, if I ask for the 8.3 version of a directory that doesn't exist, what does it tell me?

And I'm curious about the speedup from caching these names, but it might be possible because you don't have to do the system call.

The only thing that keeps =dirnames around for me is because of rdp. Specifically what if you want to publish an archive on a win32 machine so that other people have access to it. A linux implementation isn't going to be calling the win32 api.

Also important is a Mac port of tla. I don't know if Mac has the same path limitations that win32 has.

I think using 8.3 filenames in the win32 port will probably be okay. You still have the problem that trying to delete your working directory with Explorer will fail. I'm not sure how to work around that. Maybe a tla command "nuke {arch}".

The only other problem is that we really only have < 200 characters to work with. Simply because people are going to want working directories. And it is easy to get 50 chars worth of working directory before you even get {arch}.

I will play around with the tarball that you uploaded. I was thinking to have you check it into your repository, though I don't know what format you are going to want to use.

RDP's work puts pathcompress into libhackerlab under vu, and then makes tar/patch/diffutils use hackerlab. I don't know if it would be better to switch and have a separate pathcompress lib that libhackerlab depends on as well as tar/patch/diffutils, etc.

Probably either one would work. I don't really care if it's a dll because it's going to be small, so statically compiling it is fine for me.

John
=:->