Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:55:05 -0700

rise in Europe...I hear about beatings of guest workers...I hear you're
thinking about not letting Turkey in the EU.

Hold on just a minute... not letting Turkey in the EU because of their
government's human rights record is racist??

Those weren't related thoughts. I sort of meant racism against Turkish people. Some of the anti-Turkey stuff I've read hasn't exactly shown
Europeans as a fountain of equal treatment to all races.

Of course, you could do the same thing in the US, but you've gotten off the point then, because what I was trying to point out was that both the US
and many EU countries have some work to do.

(Of course this is a very hypocritical policy to exclude Turkey from the EU for human rights reasons, because those same EU countries finance projects
abroad with dubious human rights records, including in Turkey. Recently
a quantum leap in injustice was proposed in which pretty much all laws,
constitutional protections and human rights standards would not apply to people a certain distance from the aforementioned pipeline. I don't know
if that has gone through.)

 I think we're in violent agreement.

 Can't tell whether you're an idiot or not. I certainly don't assume
that
you are, but when you go around sending senseless things like:

 "The US is a fascist state"

  you aren't exactly showing a large capability for reasonable
discussion.

Certainly the US is not fascist internally. However, there are proto-fascist *tendencies* on the domestic front (Patriot Act, Patriot Act II, etc.), and it acts in fascist ways towards other countries. Hence the wildly divergent views about it. I think that both "the US is not fascist" and "the US is
fascist" can each be understood to be true in a certain sense.

I think that when we repeat rhetoric as fact that we lose the ability to measure progress. I see far too many people repeating rhetoric they heard other people say, without realizing they're repeating rhetoric. Somewhere the real issues get lost, and we lose our ability to have reasoned discussion on any topic that won't fit in a sound bite.

To me, it seems that most of the largest issues in our society are issues that are too complex to fit into a sound bite. That's why they remain issues, because once you need more then 5 seconds to discuss it, its not something the media can cover effectively.

  Ok, we've gone from being a fascist state to "fascist towards the
world".

Yes, exactly.

Especially with regard to the occupation of Iraq. If Seymour Hersch's
allegations are true that young Iraqi boys were imprisoned and raped with broom-handles, on camera, with their mothers within earshot... that sounds
like Nazi behaviour to me.

 I wish people would give links...googling...ok,

 I guess you mean this:

 http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040717-082858-3675r.htm

  Don't see any reference to broom-handles or mothers.

Here's another reference that links to some video that I don't have the bandwith to download:

http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/0716-06.htm

Here's some more quotes:

http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=1906

 Still no "broom handles".

The difference is one of intent. In our case, those guards were being
prosecuted for doing that. Under Saddam, those guards would have been
promoted. We put our sadists in Jail,

Not always. Firstly, some accusations are simply ignored and do not appear to be properly investigated, and secondly, Bush and Rumsfeld *authorised*
abusive tactics - first in Guatamano, and then in Iraq. Thirdly, the
evidence on the ground suggest that abuse, including torture, was or is
used on a widespread scale as a means of terrorising the prisoners and
getting them to cooperate, not just out of mindless sadism (although there
was a lot of that, too).

Yeah, all that is a slippery slope. Is leaving the lights on torture? That's probably a stretch. Is putting a hood over someone's head torture? Probably not.

  Here's the relevant from one of the above links:

"Hersh’s latest information comes on the heels of a newly released 2002 Pentagon memo detailing that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld personally authorized the use of controversial prisoner interrogation tactics, including the use of dogs for intimidation, stripping prisoners of clothes and hooding them."

Is that torture? Probably not strictly, but its clearly intimidation. If I was making a firey rhetorical speech for TV I'd call it torture though...which would then get picked up on the networks as "Pierce says Rumsfield condoned torture in Iraq" which isn't _quite_ true.

So my take: Rumsfeld authorized some questionable stuff. There are quite
a few issues where its better to draw the line clearly then it is to try
to adapt that line to every situation. I think "how far you can go" when
interrogating prisoners is one of them. Rumsfeld was trying to draw a
distinction where none really exists...

Terrorising people by the use of violence. That's pretty much the definition
of terrorism.

I think that Terrorism is Terrorizing _a_ people by the use of violence is terrorism, but I'm just being nitpicky. You're being rhetorical. I don't disagree with your point, but we've got so much rhetoric floating around about the war it makes it hard to tell what's really going on.

The fact is that everything you do has good and bad aspects. If you concentrate on only the bad aspects, you can't do anything, because everything you do will be questioned. If you concentrate on only the good
aspects, you give people more slack then they probably should have.
I have no idea where to draw the line, but rhetoric rarely helps.

 If we were never going to do anything where the guards might abuse
prisoners, we'd have to shutdown the entire criminal justice system. Its not just the guards of course:

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/005846.html#005846

 I have a friend who nearly got raped in jail, she was there because of
a parking ticket...perhaps ALL prisons need reform.

 Pierce