Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Round II -- new language, arch, furth, etc.

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Round II -- new language, arch, furth, etc.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:18:23 +0100

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:06:23PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

[...]

>> (# apt-get install darcs)
>> $ darcs get http://...
>> $ cd project-dir
>>
>> <hack hack hack>
>>
>> $ darcs record -a
>> <give my email address to darcs>
>> $ darcs send
>>
>> And the patch was sent by email to the maintainer.
>>
>> No need to set up an archive, no need for a web access, no need for
>> any configuration, no need for me to give the email address of the
>> maintainer ... Awfully simple !
>
> That's downright trivial; any idiot can write a script to do this
> for tla.

Sure, it's easy to do.  The point is that darcs looks nicer within an
hour or so's playing than tla does, if the user chooses to do
something like this (which doesn't seem unlikely).

And scripting (even if somehow everyone got it) would presumably just
do all the archive creation, registration, and so on.  darcs wins
there, too, because all that stuff isn't just hidden, it happens not
to exist.

> We're more interested in doing useful things.

Yeah, I'm sure some things are harder in darcs.  Making as many things
easy as possible is worthwhile, though, even though (in this case) it
wouldn't be particularly deep or interesting.