Re: Debian patch for LilyPond 1.3.119

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: Debian patch for LilyPond 1.3.119
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 15:54:52 -0700

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:53:55PM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Anthony Fok <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ... Oh, I see!  I was scratching my head about those additions in
> > debian/rules because "dh_installchangelogs -k" never gave me any problem,
>
> > Compare the two and see the difference:
> >
> >     lilypond1.3 (1.3.119-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >     lilypond1.3 (1.3.107) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> > Yes, the difference is "-1".
>
> Ah, ok.  Wow, do you have some pointers to debian maintainer documents
> that I could read, that would tell me this kind of stuff?  Seems this
> was a small puzzle for you too?

Hmm... not sure... :-)  The official documents are the Debian Policy
Manual, Debian Packaging Manual and the Developers' Reference.
The difference between an upstream package vs. a Debian native package
is explained in these documents.  That is a "must-know".  :-)
Do this:

        apt-get task-debian-devel

which will install these packages:

        build-essential, cvs-buildpackage, lintian, debhelper,
        dh-make, debian-policy, debmake, developers-reference, devscripts,
        dpkg-dev, dupload, fakeroot, packaging-manual, maint-guide

Yes, you'll need most of these, if not all.  Personally, I no longer
use debmake.  I haven't learned cvs-buildpackage yet.  And I sometimes
use dh-make, but not often lately.

As for debhelper, it is a very popular helper, but by no means
essential, as there are quite a few developers that use debmake or
"roll-their-own" solution instead.  Anyway, what I didn't know is that
dh_installchangelogs was smart enough to check whether a package is a
Debian native package or an upstream package.  (I.e., if a package is
native to Debian, then the upstream changelog *is* the Debian
changelog, so one shouldn't need to "dh_installchangelogs" yet another
upstream changelog.)

> > For some reasons, the --force wasn't there during the build
>
> Thanks, I'll look into this.  The info building is rather complex, in
> lilypond.  We don't want to generate examples if we don't have to,
> etc.

I see.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
address@hidden, address@hidden    University of Alberta, Canada