Re: Install Concept

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:25:56 +0100

   > I am told that Ututo's installer is now simple and fast.  Maybe
   > it would be good to look at the user interface of that.  Ubuntu
   > is also worth looking at.

   I don't know about Ututo, but Ubuntu is using Debian's installer
   with slight modifications.

Is it simple? (the fewer questions the better, and preferbly
scriptable so one can do automatic installations) Do you/someone have
a link to the installer for Ututo and/or Ubunut/Debian?

I know the Michael F. and I had some plans on using guile as a
scripting engie, where the user answers a couple of questions, the
front end fillsout a couple of variables based on that, and then runs
the installation script using that data.  One could then save the
values one used to a configuration file so one can do several
installations using the exact same setup.

But if we can use an already existing installer, that is good.  Less
code to write, more important things to worry about.  The installer
doesn't have to be as flexible as we would like to have it right
now...

Cheers.