Re: Install Concept

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:58:30 -0500

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:37:34PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:04:54PM -0500, Michael J. Flickinger wrote:
> > I'll have a little more free time coming up soon, I'll start hacking
> > on a custom installer.  I really can't find any simple installer that
> > exists.
>
> Maybe because installation is not a trivial thing at all, and can't be
> made much simpler?
>
> Everyone who has set out to create a simple installer so far ended up
> with a complicated one. Why do you believe you can do it better than all
> the major Linux distributors, who have invested a lot of effort into
> simple installers for sure, considering they are usually judged
> *primarily* by the simplicity of their installers?
>
> -antrik-

Simple, because I would at least aim for a simple design.
I think there's something wrong when you set out to write an installer
in Python and end up with with around 60,000 files.

Rather than giving a pejorative stance on how we can't write a
simple installer, why not reason why we could?

I'm not saying all installers are bad from a user-insterface standpoint,
I'm trying to say they are just far too obtuse in regard to the actual program
itself.

--
Michael J. Flickinger