Re: Install Concept

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:24:21 +0100

   Everyone who has set out to create a simple installer so far ended
   up with a complicated one. Why do you believe you can do it better
   than all the major Linux distributors, who have invested a lot of
   effort into simple installers for sure, considering they are
   usually judged *primarily* by the simplicity of their installers?

One could say the same about our package manager.  But the goals are
so different that it isn't worth while to take a existing package
manager, and tweak it into something we like.  Maybe this is the case
with the installer, I do not know, but I trust that Michael will make
the right decision; it seems that having several thousand of files (is
it _really_ 34k files?) for something as an installer is quite
frightening...  Emacs is is something like 2000 files; and that is
with the byte-compiled elisp files...

Cheers.