Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:47:25 -0500

   While all the projects you mention share the paramount goal of
   freedom for users, all of them have other specific goals, and
   that's why they are individual projects:

They are also part of the GNU system, LibreJS is part of the GNU
project, and Xiph is a project that both the GNU project and the FSF
support.  But their goals are simple: make non-free software
irrelevant in a specific domain -- which is why GNU also exists.

I suggest you visit the GNU web site, and read the whole section on
philosophy (https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/), maybe that will clear
things up for you.  As it stands, you are immensly confused what the
GNU project and the FSF are about, what their history is and what
their mission is.

To end this discussion I will quote Richard from 1983 as to why GNU
exists at all:

  I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
  must share it with other people who like it. I cannot in good
  conscience sign a nondisclosure agreement or a software license
  agreement.

  So that I can continue to use computers without violating my
  principles, I have decided to put together a sufficient body of free
  software so that I will be able to get along without any software
  that is not free.