Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:55:09 -0200

Em Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:29:22 +0000
Brandon Invergo <address@hidden> escreveu:

> - *the* GNU system, as such, exists without any specific action
>    necessary.  The GNU system is, simply put, a collection of free
>    software that can be used together to give rise to a completely
>    free Unixoid operating system.

The problem with this definition is that GNU wouldn't be a operating
system properly.  Originally GNU is defined as an operating system,
and I think that's the most beneficial way to consider it, both
technically and strategically.

> - distributions of the GNU system are specific efforts to, well,
>   distribute the GNU system as defined by a chosen set of
>   components.  The specific components may vary from distro to
>   distro, but the system that arises from their combination is still
>   GNU.

It's impossible to develop an operating system and make it available
to people without distributing it.  Therefore, distribution is
intrinsically linked to the realization of the operating system
itself.  It doesn't mean, however, that both are the same thing --- as
shown by their following properties:

  1. We *cannot* have an operating system without a distribution;

  2. We *cannot* have a distribution without an operating system;

  4. We *cannot* have several operating systems of the same
     distribution;

  3. We can have several distributions of the same operating system;

As you can probably see, it's not coincidence that the concept of
distribution have arisen from the concept of operating system within
the free software movement.  The distribution is the practical
realization (instantiation) of the abstract idea of an operating
system.  In mathematical terms, distributions have always been there;
we just didn't notice before because we lacked the necessary freedom
to do that; and before that, just the opportunity, or necessity, to
see beyond an one-to-one relation.

> - I don't know if it makes much sense, then, to talk about an
> "official" GNU distribution.  We would essentially be saying "these
> are the components that we deem to be strictly necessary to produce
> the GNU system".

As we can't have an operating system without a distribution, then we
have decided to name the GNU project's distribution of the GNU
operating system simply "GNU", just because no distribution of the GNU
system can get more GNUish than that.  It's the trivial distribution
of the GNU system: the canonical instance or "reference" as you said.
Distributions like Debian GNU/Linux are just non-trivial instances of
the same operating system.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;