Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:25:52 -0200

Em Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:35:57 +0000
Brandon Invergo <address@hidden> escreveu:

> Free software development has grown far beyond the exclusive purview
> of the GNU project.  It would be a bad idea to shut all of that out,
> close in on ourselves and say, "no, *this and only this* set of
> software is GNU".

We are not proposing to act like that.  Rather, we are proposing just
to make evident the fact that those are the GNU project's
distributions, by naming each one of them as "the GNU system".  It
wouldn't have any technical implication as to what set of software
comprises a GNU(-variant) distribution.

> We need to openly accept all of that free software, see how it is
> effectively *all* a part of GNU, and think about "The GNU System" in
> terms of how all of that massive body of software works together,
> whether they be official GNU software or not. Some subset of it will
> then be selected to represent the specific GNU/Linux or GNU/Hurd
> distributions that we provide, but it would be foolish and dishonest
> to say that any other subset is not the GNU system.

Therefore, we won't say that.  Even so, that doesn't mean we must not
call the GNU system distributions of the GNU project by the name
"GNU".

> I'll reiterate that I'm a big fan of what the Guix team is doing.  I
> view that project as an excellent way for GNU to continue to lead
> the way by setting the best example, not as a way to overtake and
> replace other efforts.

I fail to see how naming each one of the GNU project's distributions
of the GNU system as "the GNU system" would have the effect of
overtaking and replacing other efforts in the development of
GNU-variant systems.

> But there's no need to sweep all the other free distros under the
> rug just because they're not "official".

It's not a matter of being "official", whatever that means.  It's a
matter of pertaining to the GNU project or not.  I'm sure no
distribution will be swept under the rug just because they aren't
developed by the GNU project.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;