Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:13:02 -0200

Em Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:29:26 -0500
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> escreveu:

>   > Why would you need to discard the GNU Hurd if you declare GNU
>   > Linux-libre one of the kernels of the GNU system?  Why you can't
>   > officially acknowledge GNU as an operating system of multiple
>   > kernels?
>
> We can and we do -- but that is incompatible with releasing a
> GNU/Linux distro and calling that, and only that, "the GNU system".

Incompatible?  So how are we supposed to release "the GNU system" if
no distribution could be called that way?  Are you implying that only
Hurd-based GNU systems deserve the label?

It's reasonable to say that it's not worthwhile to release a
Hurd-based GNU system for the foreseeable future.  Therefore, won't
the GNU project release "the GNU system"?

If that's so, I have to say that's a sad prospect.

If GNU is a system of multiple kernels, *every* GNU project's
distribution of the GNU system, be it Linux-libre, Hurd or a third GNU
kernel based, deserves to be called "the GNU system".  Technicalities
that differ them are for tech-savvy people, not the common public.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;